Lavender, Hold the Cocoa

It is hard to believe now, but there was a day when I never imagined cooking with lavender. Or rosewater... but that is a story for another day.

To me, lavender was for the after-bath splash my mother put on our backs on hot, sticky, summer days to ease the heat and humidity.

Lavender was the scent of a sachet in my Aunt Rae's linen drawer, where she kept placemats and napkins.

Lavender was the fragrance of the first cologne I was given as a high school teen (Pour Un Homme by Caron) - a Christmas gift from my friends Linda and Cathy. I felt quite grown up.

At that time, I would never have imagined I’d have a blog named Cocoa and Lavender, or that one day lavender would figure in my culinary creations.

Today's recipe is nothing earth-shattering. It is a simple roasted chicken with thyme and lavender. There are times when a simple meal is the perfect meal. Today was one of those days.

My inspiration for this recipe came from a restaurant in Provincetown, Massachusetts. My friend Michael had dined at the Marten House back in the early 90s and told me of their lavender roasted chicken.

I waited at least 20 years to make it for the first time. And, on this same day, I share it with you.

I wish you a very happy holiday season, celebrating whatever it is that touches your heart. Don't forget to hold your loved ones tight, and let them know you love them each and every day.

Onward to 2013!

~ David

Lavender-Thyme Roasted Chicken

One 3 to 4-pound fresh, organic chicken
1 tablespoon culinary lavender buds
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Wash chicken and dry completely with paper towels.

Mix the thyme, lavender, salt, and pepper in a mortar, and combine using the pestle to break down the lavender buds. Set aside.

Using a dull butter knife, separate the skin from the breast meat. Rub the lavender-thyme mixture under the skin and into the flesh of the chicken, reserving 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture.

Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and rub the oil all over. Sprinkle with reserved lavender-thyme mixture.

Place in the oven and reduce heat immediately to 325°F. Cook for 14-15 minutes per pound, until juices run clear. Let sit on the carving board for 10 minutes, tented with foil, to let juices settle into the meat.

Carve and serve!

Serves 4.

Labels: , , ,